ULTIMATE GILLIAN ANDERSON FAQ
This document was written by Sarah Poisel and may
only be used elsewhere with my name attached. Please notify
me if you intend on using this FAQ for your webpage.
1. Who is Gillian Anderson?
- Gillian Anderson is an actress who is best known for her portrayal as Special Agent Dana Katherine Scully on the television series The X-Files.
2. What is Gillian Anderson's family background?
- Gillian Leigh Anderson was born on August 9, 1968, to Edward and Rosemary Anderson in Chicago, Illinois. When Gillian was young, her parents moved to Puerto Rico before settling in England when Gillian was two years old. The family lived in Crouch End and Haringay for nine years until circumstances forced the family back to America. They settled in Grand Rapids, Michigan, where the Andersons still reside. Gillian was the only child for thirteen years until the birth of her brother, Aaron Anderson. Aaron's birth was followed three years later by a younger sister, Zoe. Edward Anderson runs a film post-production company and her mother, Rosemary, is a computer analyst.
3. What is the correct pronunciation of Gillian's name?
- Gillian's name is pronounced the same as the alternately spelled "Jillian".
4. What is Gillian's educational background?
- Gillian graduated from City High School in Grand Rapids in 1986, then went on to earn a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree from DePaul University's Goodman Theater School in Chicago, Illinois. While she was a student at DePaul, Gillian also was a participant of a summer program at the National Theater of Great Britain at Ithaca, New York's Cornell University.
5. What are Gillian's vital statistics?
- Gillian is reportedly 5'2" tall. She has blue eyes and red hair, though her natural color is dark blonde. Her shoe size is said to be 7.
6. Is Gillian married?
- Gillian's two-year marriage to Errol "Clyde" Klotz ended in 1996. They were married on December 31, 1993, in Hawaii, after meeting on the set of the X-Files where Klotz worked as an art director. Most recently, Gillian dated Rodney Rowland, who co-starred in the X-Files episode Never Again, for at least eight months in 1997 but broke off that relationship earlier this year. She is currently reportedly unattached.
7. Does Gillian have any children?
- Yes. Soon after her marriage to Clyde Klotz, Gillian discovered she had become pregnant on their honeymoon. The unexpected pregnancy caused the writers of the X-Files to write Gillian out of at least one episode completely, leading to the character of Agent Scully's "abduction" and the beginning of the best X-Files myth-arc episodes. On September 25, 1994, nearly two weeks after her due date, Gillian Anderson's daughter, Piper Maru Anderson, was born by Caesarean Section. Gillian returned to work ten days after Piper's birth. Now that she and Clyde Klotz are not together, Gillian has primary custody of her daughter.
8. Where did Gillian come up with the name Piper Maru for her daughter?
- Gillian considered the names Geneva and Emily for her unborn baby, then she and Clyde Klotz found the name Piper in an old yearbook of Clyde's. Maru in the Japanese word for "ship", and so it was fitting that the third season X-Files episode about a sunken ship was entitled "Piper Maru".A
9. Does Gillian have any pets?
- Gillian, who is allergic to cats, has a Neopolitan Mastiff dog named Cleo.
10. Why did Gillian begin acting?
- Gillian, who originally thought about becoming a marine biologist, began acting while in high school. She won parts in a Grand Rapids Community Theater production and from that point on knew that what she wanted was to be an actress. A
11. What is the story behind Gillian's punk history?
- This stage of Gillian's life, which she emphasizes was just a phase she went through, has been blown completely out of proportion to the point where she does not like to discuss it anymore in interviews. The "phase" began when Gillian was an early teen; she pierced her nose, dyed her hair, wore black, and hung out with other punks. At once point Gillian reportedly didn't brush her hair for a year. A
12. How did Gillian get the part of Dana Scully?
- She went in for an audition after spending a year in Los Angeles trying out for dozens of roles. Although FOX executives were saud to be looking for a Pamela Anderson-type actress for the part, Chris Carter lobbied for Gillian to be casted. A
13. Does Gillian believe in UFOs and the paranormal?
- Gillian has stated that she definitely believes in ESP and the spiritual aspects of the paranormal; if fact, when she and Clyde Klotz moved into their new house together soon after the marriage, Gillian had someone "cleanse" her home because she kept feeling a "presence" there. As far as aliens, Gillian does think there is other life out there, though she's not convinced aliens and UFOs have visited Earth. A
14. What are Gillian's favorite episodes of the X-Files?
- Gillian has cited "Squeeze", "One Breath", "Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose", "Memento Mori", "Post-Modern Prometheus", and "Bad Blood" as a few of her favorite X-Files episodes.
15. Is Gillian leaving the X-Files?
- No. Gillian is under contract with the X-Files until the 1999-2000 season winds up. After that, like her co-star David Duchovny, she does not intend to resign with the series. However, Gillian has stated recently that if The X-Files Movie: Fight the Future is successful, she would be very interested in doing a sequel to the movie even after the show's finale on television.
16. Does Gillian not get along with David (Duchovny)?
- No, there is absolutely no truth to this rumor. They spend a lot of time together while filming The X-Files and prefer to get away from each other any other time, which leads to the speculation that they do not get along or hate each other. On the other end of the spectrum, there have been rumors that Gillian and David are very close, as in having had an intimate relationship in the past. This is not true either. A
17. How does Gillian feel about being famous?
Gillian says that her fame is something she cannot comprehend. When The X-Files began, it was expected to flop and Gillian certainly never thought the show would make her a star. Though tabloid stories and rumors sometimes are painful, Gillian has taken her sudden and skyrocketing fame in stride. A
18. What charities does Gillian support?
- Gillian is very active in NF (neurofibromatosis), Inc., because her younger brother, Aaron was diagnosed with the illness at age 3. Though it can lead to serious problems, Gillian's brother's health has been only mildly affected by the illness. Recently, GAWS--The Gillian Anderson Web Site raised over $23,000 for NF by holding an auction on Gillian Anderson-related items, many of which were donated and signed by Gillian herself. Other charities Gillian has publically supported are the Pediatric AIDS Foundation and the Starlight Foundation, which provides wishes to sick children and game rooms in children's wards of hospitals,
19. Is Gillian aware of the many internet groups that worship her?
- Yes, she is. She doesn't participate in the chats and doesn't surf the net often, but the fact that she's got so many sites devoted to her has been pointed out to her on many occasions. A
20. What is Gillian's email address?
Gillian's email address is not available to fans. However, to write her using regular mail, visit
this site, where you can find several addresses.
21. Are there any Gillian Anderson mailing lists/fan clubs?
There is one primary mailing list for Gillian, to join visit this site and follow the directions listed there for the GAML. As far as fan clubs, there are several devoted to Gillian on-line. Look for a complete listing of on-line Gillian Anderson fan clubs in the future.
TRUE OR FALSE?
Here is a list of true/false questions related to Gillian Anderson to clear up the rumors and verify the truth.
1. Gillian Anderson smokes.
Answer: True, Gillian has smoked since she was a teenager.
2. Gillian does not drink alcohol.
Answer: True, Gillian had a drinking problem and stopped drinking shortly before she turned 21.
3. Gillian lost her virginity at the age of 13.
4. When Gillian was a teenager she had a boyfriend ten years her senior.
Answer: True, Gillian was 14 when her four-year relationship with Len Wallace, 23, began.
5. Gillian appeared topless in her first film.
Answer: True. Though Gillian's role in 1988's The Turning includes just a few scenes, one of them happens to be a brief love scene.
6. Gillian has a tattoo and her navel pierced.
Answer: True. The tatto is of two turtles and is on her right ankle.
7. Gillian was romantically involved with an accused rapist.
Answer: False, Gillian vehemently denies having a romantic relationship with Adrian Hughes, who Gillian called a friend before his arrest on rape charges.
8. Gillian and Clyde Klotz are battling for custody of Piper.
Answer: False, the two have worked out what Gillian calls a "complicated" custody arrangement for Piper now that production of the show has moved to Los Angeles.
9. Gillian is seriously involved with (Insert Name Here).
Answer: False, Gillian has not been seriously linked to anyone since her break up with Rod Rowland.