This document was written by Sarah Poisel and may
only be used elsewhere with my name attached. Please notify
me if you intend on using this FAQ for your webpage.
1. Who is David Duchovny?
- David Duchovny is an actor who is most known for his portrayal of Special Agent Fox Mulder on the television series "The X-Files".
2. What is David Duchovny's family background?
David William Duchovny was born on August 7, 1960, to Amram "Ron" and Margaret "Meg" (Miller) Ducovny in New York City, New York. David's mother is Scottish and his father is Jewish. David is the second of three children, with a six-years older brother Daniel Ducovny and a four-years younger sister Laurie Ducovny/Duchovny. David's mother has been a teacher in New York since her 1971 divorce from David's father, who lives in Europe. Of the divorce, which occurred when David was eleven, he's said, "You're forced into an adult world of emotions that you're not prepared to deal with."
3. What is the correct spelling/pronunciation of David's last name?
- The original spelling of the name includes the "h". David's father changed the spelling to avoid mispronunciation. Meg Duchovny switched to the original spelling after her divorce, and David followed suit. David's brother has adopted his father's spelling of the name while his younger sister switches back and forth. David's last name is pronounced doo-KUV-nee.
4. What is David's educational background?
- David attended a prestigious private school in Manhattan with such classmates as John F. Kennedy, Jr., after winning a scholarship. After graduation, David earned his Bachelor of Arts degree at Princeton University. He went on to Yale, where he received his Master of Arts degree in English. His choice to go into acting ended David's efforts at getting his Ph.D.
5. What are David's vital statistics?
- David is reportedly 6'0 tall, weighing 170 pounds. He has brown hair and hazel eyes. His shoe size is said to be 11 1/2.
6. Is David married?
- On May 6, 1997, David Duchovny was married to well-known comedic actress Tea Leoni in New York after a 63-day courtship that began earlier in 1997. Though not romantically involved until 1997, David and Tea had been acquaintances since 1992. After the marriage, David said, "My heart told me that this was the right woman and the right time..."
7. Does David have any children?
- David and Tea are expecting their first child in the Spring.
8. Does David have any pets?
- David has a dog, Blue, who is named from the song "Tangled Up In Blue". Blue, a border collie mix, is the offspring of the dog that appeared in the first-season episode "Ice". David's wife Tea also has a dog, George.
9. Why did David begin acting?
- David has given several different reasons for this. First of all, he was influenced by a friend at college who was into acting. David, whose original plans were to write and teach, said the following in an interview: "If you're going to write for actors, you should learn how actors work." So, with that he gave acting a try and found it very freeing. "I had grown up in a very controlled academic environment. But people were saying, 'Yes, it's good to scream, it's good to cry.'" He still believes that deep down, he is still a writer more than anything else.
10. What does David like to do in his spare time?
- "...my spare time is spent reading a lot and getting depressed, " David once told an interviewer. Although David rarely has spare time, when given the chance he enjoys reading and writing, especially poetry. Swimming, jogging, and yoga, as well as basketball and baseball, are also a few things David enjoys. These days, David's interests lie mainly in his wife, Tea Leoni, and starting a family.
11. Does David believe in UFOs and the paranormal?
- In some of his interviews, David adamantly denies his belief in any of that stuff, while in others his has professed to believe at least to some extent. His insistance that he does not believe might be an attempt to separate himself from the character of Fox Mulder. Recently he stated, "People confuse me with my character. They think I'm interested in alien matters and that I believe in that stuff." However, in a 1994 interview, he stated that he once felt the "presence" of someone close to him who had died, so he isn't a complete skeptic when it comes to the paranormal.
12. What are David's favorite/least favorite episodes of the X-Files?
- David has singled out the first season episodes "Ghost in the Machine", "Born Again", and "Lazarus", as well as the fourth season episodes "Teliko" as a few of his least favorite episodes. David's favorite episodes "One Breath" and "Anasazi" come from the series' second season.
13. Is David leaving the X-Files?
No, at least not until after the seventh season winds up. There was some controversy at the beginning of the fifth season when David began lobbying for a move of production of the X-Files from Vancouver to Los Angeles, where his wife lives. Apparently, after the X-Files first began, the show's creator/producer Chris Carter told David and Gillian that production would not be in Vancouver for more than two or three seasons. However, production continued in Vancouver for both the fourth and fifth seasons, much to David's dismay. Although he was very outspoken about his wishes to move the show to Los Angeles so that he could live with his new wife, David did say, "...I will be here, and I will keep my commitment... To me that is a commitment to the fans, indirectly." For the sixth and seventh seasons of the X-Files production will take place in Los Angeles.
14. Do David and Gillian (Anderson) hate each other?
- They do not hate each other, but they have described their relationship as being similar to an arranged marriage. "Working with Gillian under these circumstances tends to make the working relationship more like a marriage, " David once explained. "We have our good days and our bad days and we just have to work through it." In another interview, David said, "It's a very complicated relationship. We just get enough of each other right now... I imagine we'll be friends when the show's over."
15. How does David feel about being famous?
Although he appreciates the recognition, saying it's "flattering and wonderful," he admits that he misses his anonymity terribly. He is fiercely protective of whatever privacy he has left, and is aware that his guardedness leads to some feeling that he is a "jerk". "...you kind of become isolated, stay inside, because every time you go outside you're making a statement of some kind, " David explained. "I care what people say about me. I wish I didn't care so much." Before his marriage to Tea Leoni, he described fame, success, and money as unfulfilling, saying, "Sometimes it's gratifying, and sometimes I just detour into these rancid, dark moods..."
16. What charities does David support?
- David is very supportive of charities including the Pediatric AIDS Foundation.
17. Is David aware of the many internet groups that worship him?
- Yes, though he does not participate in the discussion or pay much attention to the websites devoted to him. "I don't need to go on the internet to get confirmation that I suck, " David explained. And while he respects the members of the groups that honor him, he says, "Like God, I'm unnecessary at this point. They'd hate me if I showed up."
18. What is David's email address?
David's email address is not available to fans. However, to write him using regular mail, visit
this site, where you can find several addresses.
19. Are there any David Duchovny mailing lists/fan clubs?
There are several, but most of them are private or closed off to new members. To join the David Duchovny Drool Brigade, visit this site and follow the directions listed there for the DDDB.